Monday, September 16, 2013

MY LAUSD JOURNEY, a farewell message by Jaime Aquino

from L.A. Schools Report | http://bit.ly/1eX4fno

13 September 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Three years ago, Dr. Deasy convinced me to join his team in implementing an ambitious agenda to ensure that all schools in the City of Los Angeles were places of academic excellence.  I believe that under his leadership this vision is closer to becoming a reality.  As much as I would want to continue on this journey, I feel the current political climate does not allow me to lead an agenda that is in the best interest of kids.

I want to thank you for embracing me into the LAUSD family and allowing me to be part of a collective effort that has made miracles happen for thousands of kids in the city of Los Angeles.

Our working lives are, I think, a bit like a train journey.  You get on at one station, and, you may get off or on again at a dozen others.  You will see, at every station you pass, others going on their own journeys of life. Some of them enter your carriage and share part of your journey and some of them pass it by.

I have been in the same carriage with you almost three years now.  Like the strangers who chat in the train, I have learned some of your stories. I have come to know your passion and commitment to our kids.

I have always thought it a very good idea to be open to new suggestions and new ideas.  You have given me both.  I hope that I, in my turn, have been able to share some of mine with you.  I cannot say how successful I was, of course, but I would like to think that sometime in the future someone would say, “He taught me something” or “Our schools will be better because of his contributions.”

Thank you for the opportunity to serve all of you and the children of Los Angeles. Please be assured that in the next three months I will work tirelessly to ensure a smooth transition.

My train will be leaving at the end of this calendar year, but perhaps it is a circular route and someday I will come back this way again.  In the meantime, I urge you to continue working tirelessly to ensure that all students are afforded the opportunity to live the American dream.

Jaime

 


2cents smf: It may seem a cheap shot …but it’s telling. 

It’s something Dr Aquino knows (like not to call them ‘iPads’ when ‘tablets’ is the generic term of art) -- but he didn’t want ‘tablets’ he wanted (and got)  iPads!) :

Dr. Aquino specifically,  incorrectly+impoliticly refers to the “City of Los Angeles” twice in the previous epistle. 

  • In three years (O.K. two years and five months) the #2 guy in LAUSD never figured out that the District encompasses 26 jurisdictions of which The City of L.A. is only one?
  • To the parents who send their children to LAUSD and to the taxpayers who send their tax money to LAUSD  -  and live and work in the independent or unincorporated communities of Bell, Cudahy, Florence, Gardena, Huntington Park, Lomita, Marina del Rey, Maywood, San Fernando, South Gate, Topanga, Universal City, Vernon, View Park, Walnut Park, West Athens, Westmont and West Hollywood; plus portions of Beverly Hills, Carson, Commerce, East Los Angeles, Hawthorne, Inglewood, Monterey Park, Rancho Palos Verdes, West Compton and Willowbrook - that is a fatal flaw.

No comments: